The Book Stick
I visited Scribblingwoman's site this morning and saw she is planning to pass along to me the following "book stick" because we both got the same disappointing results on the Quizilla quiz. This meme came to her from Catalogue Annie.
- Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
- Lord Peter Wimsey. Arkady Renko. Peter Beagle's character in I See By My Outfit (well, the ultra-sexy picture of him on the original book jacket didn't hurt). I could go on.
- The last book you bought is:
- For blogging: "Collapse" by Jared Diamond (referenced here), "Life Is So Good" by George Dawson (referenced here), "Floating Off the Page" edited by Ken Wells (referenced here and here).
- The last book you read:
- I just finished "Ten Little Indians" and "The Toughest Indian in the World" by Sherman Alexie. Now I'm working on "Status Anxiety" by Alain de Botton, but in a dilatory fashion, because the idea is better than the book.
- Five books you would take to a deserted island:
- Miriam is toting anthologies, which seems like cheating, but ok, I'll take the Norton Anthology of English Literature (6 vols.) too.
The Talmud IN TRANSLATION. We have such a good time in Talmud study once a month, wrestling with and chortling over the minds that embroidered their thoughts into those tangled pages so closely. We only do about 10 sentences in an hour and a half, so the Talmud should last me for the rest of my life.
A Russian dictionary (hopefully with a grammar appendix)
Collected Russian works (similar to Norton, surely one exists). I might as well re-learn the Russian I forgot when I left college, and then apply it to Pushkin and Tolstoy, because those bitter Russians could entertain me forever.
Last but not least, "Building Boats Out of Palm Trees and Seaweed for Dummies."
- Who are you going to pass this stick to and why?
- To BadAunt and Michele, because I like their brains and I know they like to read.
Technorati Tags: Meme, Writing, Books