PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, March 19, 2005

What Obsolete Skill Are You?

It's a somewhat somber and solitary Saturday night here. Melina went back to college and the house is so quiet. Inclining towards melancholy (see below), I fortuitously stumbled over to Music and Cats where Kimberly cheered me up by pointing to What Obsolete Skill Are You? at Quizilla. This, I assume, is a quiz people will not take unless they are willing to be SOME obsolete skill, so the whole thing is a bit skewed to begin with.

Kimberly was Latin (pictured right as per her site): "You are very classy, meaning that you value the classics. You value old things, good things which have stood the test of time. You value things which have been proven worthy and valuable, even if no one else these days sees them that way..." (more).


I turned out to be regularly metric verse, a rather less appealing skill:
"This can take many forms, including heroic couplets, blank verse, and other iambic pentameters, for example. It has not been used much since the nineteenth century ... You appreciate the beautiful things in life--the joy of music, the color of leaves falling, the rhythm of a heartbeat. ... you are pensive and often melancholy. You enjoy the company of other people, but they find you unexcitable and depressing. Your problem is that regularly metric verse has been obsolete for a long time."
Well, it's true I wrote bushel-baskets full of iambic pentameter in my day, but only for pay, I promise, I was never trying to express myself!

I loved Latin, I got a 99% on the New York State Latin Regents Exam about 35 years ago. Whiningly I ask, why couldn't I be Latin, too? It seems like more fun.

Also, I don't think people find me boring and depressing. Morbid, maybe.

By the way, this quiz was not written for parents. There was no radio button for loving your children best of all.

Technorati Tags: , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

I got "French". I thought I'd be either syenography or Latin. Ah, well...

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

"stenography"

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Hmmm... thought I had posted a comment, I guess Blogger ate it. You were definitely one of the people I thought would enjoy this (admittedly quirky) quiz.

I was thinking I'd be "growing one's own food." Latin was a complete surprise... and proof that one doesn't always know one's self. (My Latin doesn't go much beyond what I've sung in various choirs.)

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh... I took it twice and got "Gregg Shorthand" and a third time and got "programming in Q-Basic". As usual though, almost none of the questions had my real answer as one of the choices. I think all of those quizzes are written by and for students. I should try to write one that has only old geezer answers on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home