Trackback (how to ping)
BadAunt asked me how to "ping." Imagine, a question I can answer!
Some people have this capability on their sites but I don't so I use the standalone pinger at aylwardfamily.com
By the way, you can only ping a site if its posts have trackback numbers. So I, for instance, can ping other people, but they can't ping me. UPDATE: Wonderful Kimberly at Music and Cats has pointed out to me that I do, now, have trackback on my site. Oops, I forgot cause nobody ever pings me. (Except now she has.)
Anyway, when I want to ping somebody, I:
- Bring up the standalone pinger.
- Put the site's "TrackBack URL" in the first slot on the form. (You'll find this at the bottom of the post you want to ping, or maybe you have to click the "comments" link to find it.)
- Put the permanent URL for your site (at blogger, we click on the date at the bottom of our posts to get to the permanent URL) in the second slot.
- Add your blog name and title in the next two slots
- Add an excerpt from your piece in the box (not too long or it gets cut off)
Technorati Tags: Ping, Trackback, Blog