PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, August 16, 2009

[Hannah] On Sewing Your Own Wedding Dress, III

CHAPTER 3: ENGINEERING

So, we have been thinking like an artist so far. Now we need to start thinking like an engineer. (There are lots of engineers in my family, so I like this part, it makes me feel like I didn't lose the ENTIRE build-your-own-house gene).

What are the structural criteria here?

This dress is looking like it will need to have three parts.

1) Bodice: double-layered (lace over...something), some kind of straps in back, halter-ish in front.

A soft, stretchy material would work best here, so that I don't have to fit it perfectly to my natural shape, it can self-adjust.

2) waist: sits at natural waist, fitted.

A stiff, non-stretchy material will be necessary here, so it is strong enough to support the weight of the skirt, and so it won't bunch up when I bend over and so it will also support the bust pieces which won't have much structure of their own. The ideal width of the waistband I figured would be from my natural waist to my bust, which turned out to be 4".

3) skirt: long, double-layered.

So: How do we purchase fabric and create a pattern based on the aesthetics I discussed earlier and the engineering requirements above?

1) soft white lace
2) soft white underlayer fabric, stretchy
3) white underlayer fabric, nonstretchy

2 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger melinama said...

The suspense is killing me!

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger doris. said...

So: How do we purchase fabric and create a pattern based on the aesthetics I discussed earlier and the engineering requirements above?

Is it essential that you create your own pattern? Family tradition? (grin)

1) I don't know who sells stretchy lace but I'm sure it's out there. Stores like JoAnn's or Hancock Fabrics have bridal departments & fabrics. The internet is a great source of fabric these days.

2) Something with lycra is essential. Poly/lycra like swimsuit fabric would be the softest. If you want this underlayer to be stretchy, but the lace outer layer of lace is not, and they're both going to be cut in the same exact shape, you're losing the benefit of the stretch factor. Be sure your lace stretches, too.

3) Which skirt fabric you use depends on whether you want something with body, like cotton or linen, or something that drapes like rayon or batiste or even lining fabric. You'll have to go to the fabric store, fondle the fabrics, and see what speaks to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home