PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, August 14, 2009

[Hannah] On Sewing Your Own Wedding Dress, II

So now that I had taken a tour through the kinds of wedding dresses that exist and that people were trying to sell to me, I had to figure out, which of them did I like? And what did I like about them?

I like Jim Hjelm dresses - liked the backs - elegant straps and nice lace.


Amy Michelson dress - loved the back of this dress, Grace.


However, the front has a teeny bit of that stripper Barbie look, IMHO, plus is the kind of work that is impossible to do on one's own as an amateur.


Hey, you know who looked very good? Jenna Bush.


This I thought was great. it's a Charlotte Balbier.


And the Cymbeline Agadir:


And this, from David's Bridal:


And this, which is a chinese ripoff of something, but I don't even know what the original is.


So a pattern was starting to emerge:

-Lace

-floor length

-low back

-A dress that would fit to my shape (no "grecian goddess" thing here) but that wasn't over-engineered like a suit of armor.

Oh. And I should probably mention that am not particularly modest. And since we're getting married outside, in late June, there is no need to make modesty concessions for a house of worship or for the temperature....

Basically, my "vision" was to combine the front top of the Charlotte Balbier with the back top of the Amy Michelson, with a simple A-line skirt. And there would be lace. And that's as much vision as I figured I could have at the beginning of this project. As we will see, staying flexible is very important when you are an amateur sewer trying to make your own design!

4 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Really, this is a very audacious project for somebody I could never get interested in sewing! You rock!

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Does anyone know the designer of the last gown pictured?

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger soavao said...

Can I see the result, your dress? Love your taste :-)

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger soavao said...

Can I see the result, the dress? Love your taste! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home