PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

[Hannah] On Sewing Your Own Wedding Dress

Here's a series on how I designed and sewed my wedding dress. It's going to be frustrating though, I'm warning you, because I'm not going to post the final result until the wedding which is next June. Ha. But By then I don't think I'll remember all the crap I learned going through this process so I will start now.

PART 1: WHAT IS OUT THERE?

In case you're not up to date, and I can't imagine why you would be, here is a whirlwind tour of some of the most iconic wedding dress styles of the late 2000s:

The "inexpensive" and minimalist J. Crew, which, by the way, has now inched up its prices into the mid-4 digits while retaining its inexpensive reputation:


The *very expensive* minimalist Amsale:


The ballerina-inspired Christos:


The swan/stripper/Barbie-esque Pnina Tournai:


The structured, lacy Jim Hjelm:


The 50's retro Whirling Turban:


The strictly-structured satin A-lines, with loathsome "pickups," as per David's Bridal:


and the billowy, pallidly Waspy Vera Wang:


Which do you like? How are they different from the dresses of your era? Which features do you think will seem most ridiculous a couple of decades from now?

Update: You will note my very first comment on this post is from someone who is trying to sell me a wedding dress, who clearly did not read the title of the post. This is a big business!

4 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Anonymous perfectweddingdressfinder said...

If you are wanting a wedding dress style that is "timeless" the Jim Hjelm and the Christos wedding gowns fit the bill. The simple lines of the J Crew and the Amsale can also work for a classic look.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger melinama said...

You forgot the "mermaid" dresses.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous novelera said...

I like the Amsale. It looks like strapless is the look these days. Having been blessed with a practically concave chest, that was never an option for me.

I'm so long in the tooth that not only are all my friends' children married off, they have teenagers! So I haven't been to many weddings lately.

And I am SO not a wedding planner.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Where did that picture of the whirling turban come from? I LOVE IT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home