PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Report from Seattle

Here, high up on the lovely Queen Anne hill, my hostess is eating locally this month. Yesterday one of the architects in her firm gave her eggs his own adopted chickens had laid and she was quite excited about it - said chickens, living about ten miles away, being not only local but practically neighbors.

She took pictures of her eggs to post on her blog (half of them are green!) and I took pictures of her taking pictures of her eggs; she went out to a small patch of sunshine just next to her garage, where the light was best, and knelt on the concrete in her nice architect clothes. See what your devoted bloggers do for you?!

I promised not to post my pictures because we don't want to be too recursive.

Recursive: last week my singing student Caroline came to her lesson wearing her own product, a tshirt emblazoned with a big picture of a cat playing the guitar and singing and she played the guitar and sang, and it was actually kind of confusing looking at the real person and the cat at the same time.

I have noticed that eating locally, at least when you live here in Seattle, is extremely expensive. For instance, local cheese costs $16.00 a pound. I guess, when you figure how valuable real estate is around here, and how many condos you could build on the amount of land that will graze five cows, it's not really surprising.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever read 'The Egg and I' or see the movie that was made from it? One of the first short story writing classes I took was taught by an emeritus professor whose claim to fame was editing 'The Egg and I'.

I met a girl in that class who I really liked, Rhonda Bernstein, but I was flat broke, so I never asked her out. I stayed flat broke until I got married about fifteen years later.

I'm still married and a few months ago my wife and I sold our house in Ballard. It's been turned into condos. My wife and I can afford to go out for breakfast now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home