PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Melina Reports In

Melina here, checking in for duty. I'm a night poster, so I'm starting now so as not to skip a day cause Ma doesn't like that.

Ma's given me a lead in to talk about the show I had the privilege of watching with our dear friend Terry. But I'm not sure I"m allowed to talk about it yet, 'cause he hasn't voiced his opinion. So I"ll just say I had a great time.

Tonight's been a little bit lower key. Our weekday life here in the bachelor pad is none too impressive. I stumbled home at about 7:30 and had a bowl of raisin bran for dinner because I lost my staple pantry foods in the divorce and I can't stand to spend any more money ordering food. Then I picked out all the raisins from the rest of the cereal box while watching some of the episodes from the depressing fifth season of Sex and the City, by which time the writers clearly only were able to muster interest in their four heroines by subjecting to the most humiliating and depressing plot twists they could think of.

Then my roommate John came home with his lady friend, at which point I turned Sex and the City off because I was embarassed. It's so 1998 of me to still be watching it. (Plus he threated to evict me if I watched it in his presence.) Now I actually live in New York and have started dating again, it fills me only with apprehension.

Now I'm not sure this was an improvement when John put on Kids, which is that depressing 90s movie about New York kids having sex and giving each other aids while drinking a lot. Oh and did I say smoking? and drinking? For some reason, this upset me less than Sex in the City. I am sure it'a great movie and everything, but it was so over the top and gritty and stuff that I was mostly just bored. The only times it gave me a pang was when one of the teenage boy characters said something particularly realistically awful, and it gave me a flashback to those bad old days when I had to date them and had to convince myself that they were the best thing out there (what else was I going to do? date 20-year-olds?)

Tomorrow, we will have further meditations on dating, inspired by my last weekend's experience with a man who will be known to us only as

El Borracho Guapo.


Hasta manana,
Melina

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry: Did I miss something? Didn't you used to have a b-f? Or did I have that wrong? You're the daughter, the one that did her internship in Mississippi or Louisiana or something...right?

(I haven't read this blog in ages but your Mom is a one-of-a-kind. Sorry to bring up the subject, if it's sensitive, that is...)

E

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Hey Lizzie,

I was wondering if anyone would notice! Indeed, I was with boyfriend (nom de blog of Yankel) for several years but we are not together any longer... still friends though, and he can certainly feel free to weigh in on any blog topics of mine and Ma's that are of interest to him :)

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Hey, I see the nickname stuck! You sound sad, sweetie! Buck up and tell us all about it!

Love from yer ma, up way too late after getting up at 3:45... seattle is fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home