PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, February 03, 2006

My only glamorous moment.

I love that my daughter Melina is doing Illustration Friday, too. It feels like we're doing parallel play - just separated by a few hundred miles.

After I saw her picture, I emailed to say I was sorry I never helped her much with the "girlie thing" when she was growing up. Moms are supposed to take their daughters shopping for frilly stuff. Many of the Illo Friday participants submitted pictures of their mothers, saying "to me, my mother was the most glamorous woman in the world."

But - with the exception of my OWN mother, who did wear makeup and pretty dresses - I come from a line of women who wear ratty clothes and build things in the backyard.

Her picture also reminded me of this pitiful story...

A few weeks after I met my last boyfriend in 2001 - I'm beginning to suspect he was, indeed, the last one - we very uncharacteristically went shopping. It was mid December and I was excited and nervous about going with him to the New Year's Eve party he'd been invited to.

I was imagining a glamorous party! So while he was browsing calmly through large piles of plaid shirts, I went off to the Girlie Department and tried on an amazing dress. It was grey satin, floor length, with a tight bodice and spaghetti straps and a full skirt. It was the most elegant thing I've ever put on my body, and it actually looked good! I'd never had a dress like that!

I knew it would not, let's say, get a lot of wear, but it was beautiful (and on sale) and I loved it.

When I plucked up my nerve and left the dressing room and swished (it made a lovely swishing sound when I walked) all the way over to the Men's Department and got him to look up from the pile of plaid shirts to look at it, all he said was, "Well, that wouldn't be very practical."

He was right, of course. And his friends (who had young children) were not exactly dressed up at the party.

But I was crushed. It was my last glamorous moment. Ever since, then it's been ratty sweatshirts all the way.

Technorati Tags: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story made me laugh, and then I wanted to cry, and then I felt very indignant. I think the most pitiful thing in the story is your ex-boyfriend. Harrumph and good riddance!! I hope you buy the next glamorous and impractical dress that catches your eye. You're a musician and could wear it on stage, you would be fabulous and talented and wouldn't he be sorry!

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree! Glamor is not supposed to be practical and we don't always HAVE to be practical anyway.

Right?

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Thanks, y'all. But no sense crying over spilt milk...

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger kenju said...

At the very least, you have a nice memory of how it felt to be and look glamorous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home