PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Cheese coins for hannukah

Since it's a rainy, miserable day here, and Zed has gone over to his father's house, I'm drifting back to Pratie Place to give you a delicious, non-low-fat recipe for a Hannukah treat I've been making for about twenty years. (There are no low-fat Hannukah treats as far as I know. The Hannukah miracle = lots of oil.)

Can be made with about six minutes of effort and 12 minutes of cooking.

Cheese coins

8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded with the FINE grater
1/2 cup butter or margarine, grated
1 cup all-purpose flour (all white or half whole wheat)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

You have shredded the cheese and butter into a bowl with the flour. Notice there's no liquid - squish the three ingredients together with your hands. The warmth of your palms will cause the stuff to adhere.

Make two logs, about 12" long. You can either wrap each log in plastic wrap and chill, or use them right away.

Slice each log into 1/4-inch-thick "coins." Place the slices on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. I say this makes about 33 coins. They get crispy when they're cool. They burn your mouth when they're hot.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your quip, "The Hannukah miracle = lots of oil," made me laugh out loud. Those of us who celebrate Christmas have no such rationale.

Yum. These sound delicious, and I can imagine making them with a wide variety of cheeses.

Happy Hannakuh to you and your family!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Miguel said...

Happy Hannukah... gracias por todo!

¡Y Feliz Año Nuevo!

;-)

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

FINALLY! This is the first Hanukah post (other than on my own blog) that I've seen this entire holiday. I was beginning to think I was the only Jewish blogger in existance. Great recipe. I think I'll try it. Thanks!

HH. Michele sent me.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Uisce said...

Aaargh!! Those sound delicious! (Shakes fist!)

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home