PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, October 16, 2006

Melina: Batman's new hobby

So I've written before about the New York City Crap Fair, which is a spring through fall phenomenon wherein thousands of vendors gather on a different avenue each weekend day to sell such important items as:

Gyros
Arepas
Crepes
Cell phone covers
Pirated music
gigantic earrings
massages
I Love New York T-shirts

On Saturday, the Crap Fair was taking place on 8th avenue, a block from my apartment. I wandered over to see if there was any crap that I needed. Like, maybe I would need a cell phone cover.

The house salsa band from one of my favorite Cuban restaurants, Azucar, had taken up residence outside the restaurant and were playing for an appreciative crowd that had paused their tour of the crap fair to listen to this unexpectedly excellent music.

All of a sudden, a guy dressed in full batman regalia (black mask with full head covering and ears, cape, head to toe black) races into the center of the circle formed by the crowd, and starts dancing a salsa with himself. And he was shredding. I mean, he was incredible. The guy was up, he was down, he knew all the moves. All this in an ankle length cape!

The band took this completely in stride, and immediately changed the lyrics of the chorus of the song they were singing to "Que baila el Batman, que baila el Batman."

Batman danced salsa for a good 15 minutes, then saluted the band and raced away, disappearing into the crowd.

So in case any of you were wondering, Batman is alive and well, he's living in New York, and he's apparently been taking some dancing lessons.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wondered what Batman did for entertainment when the Bat signal wasn't lit up. It's too bad Gotham has such a tight hold on him. Could you tell if his suit was a poly/cotton blend? I would think all poly would have been pretty warm.

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love New York. ~~~~~~~~~~~ Susanlynn

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger novelera said...

Wow. Would love to have seen that! And you described it perfectly. I think you're a screenwriter in the making! You only get inspired lunacy like that in big cities. I live near San Francisco, and similar things happen, especially in the more counter-culture neighborhoods. No one dares to do things like that in the 'burbs.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love people who are so comforable with themselves that they can just dance like that. Same goes for people who can break out into song in public. Great story. Thanks!!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger nycityactorguy said...

I went to that Crap fair! Enjoyed an overpriced gyro.

But you haven't seen Crap fair until you've seen the one in the East Village on Avenue A. Now that's some fine Crap!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home