PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, February 10, 2006

A complaint about a task I took on of my own free will and for which I have nobody to blame but myself.

Friends, staying up every night to recap Alborada is killing me! It's very good practice for my Spanish, and I love the new friends who come to this blog to read the summaries and discuss them in the comment section - but five nights a week is a lot.

I watch the show from 9-10 - or, if I'm out, I watch it on tape when I get home.

For the first few weeks, things went kind of slowly and that was good: when the characters stand around a lot glowering, I can get it all the first time.

But if they're yakking quickly, dropping important plot points like cow pies, I have to rerun the tape and listen again - and I never learned shorthand, so taking notes is a bit slow.

Then I have to write the summaries. I know you're not reading them, because they're ridiculous and you're not watching the show, but it's hard work. Remember that guy who said: "I'm sorry I've written you such a long letter, I didn't have the time to write a shorter one." ? Well, trying to condense a one hour show full of enthusiastic exposition to a readable size is time consuming! I'm exhausted!

The point of all this is that I've had less time to do my other blogging. Sorry.

Technorati Tags:

6 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Melinama,
What would we do without you?
Please take good care of yourself and get lots of rest. Maybe it would help if you could speak your notes into a tape recorder, that would save you lots of writing.
I'm sure we'll all be praying for you to continue in good health.
Sincerely,
Alice

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Melinama: Why don't you share the burden with some of us? I would be willing to do one or two nights a week. I could email the text to you to you and you could put it in your unique style. ;-) You would watch that episode and get the general idea without having to worry about the summary.
My name is Jean and my email is njmotmot@gmail.com

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Thanks! I will need some help when I make my upcoming trip to New England (leaving March 3, gone all the following week). Maybe we can set up some replacements...

 
At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind picking up a day or two here and there to help out. I wrote it up the one time and wondered how one person could do it every night, keep up a great site like yours AND have a life outside of the TV and internet!!

I don't always understand everyting but I usually get most of it... just let me know, I'd be happy to help... my email is: staar_liite@yahoo.com

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Thanks for volunteering to help out, Ruth.

Que mala suerte! I will be in Mexico from March 2 through 9 so I can't help that week. Let me know if you need help any other time.

Jean

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jean! Are you going to Mexico on a vacation? How fun! I would LOVE to go, never been. I've thought about going to one of the Spanish Language schools they have there but am still looking into it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home