PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Top Rated Charities

I'm endorsing the buy-nothing holiday system because most of the people I know don't need more stuff. (Well, maybe everybody needs a little peanut brittle...)

I gave charitable contributions using this site as a guide: American Institute of Philanthropy:
The mission categories list charities which get high grades from AIP for putting 75% or more towards program cost while generally spending $25 or less to raise $100. These groups also receive an "open book" credit from AIP for willingly sending the financial documents we request.
AIP also issues C, D, and F grades but you have to write away for their paper guide to see those...

UPDATE: I just a heard a guy from charity watch on NPR this morning. He said some organizations, like "Feed the Children," use 90% of the money that comes in for administration, profit for the fundraisers, and advertising for more donations. That's not how I want my money spent!

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Blogger ribbiticus said...

hi! that is a wonderful way to spread cheer and hope this christmas season. kudos to you and have a happy christmas!!!

michele sent me here today. :)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger kenju said...

I don't need thngs either - but peanut brittle is the best idea I have heard (along with massages and pedicures)!

Michele sent me today.

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, Michele sent me. That is a great site, when I first saw it someplace I'd been giving to for a long time didn't score very well. But I found a better place with the same mission, it was great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home