PRATIE PLACE

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Context is everything.

Melina's diary:

When I was about to go off to college in New England, my own dear mama told me she wanted to buy me a warm winter coat for the long cold winters. Since I was seventeen at the time, I was very interested in creating my own unique style and identity. The coat we decided on was an ankle-length raccoon fur coat -- a FAKE raccoon fur coat -- listed on ebay by a woman in Miami who said sadly "I never have reason to wear this anymore."

At the time it was a great investment - very cheap, very warm, very over-the-top/ironic, very faux-old-Yale. No college student I knew had anything like it -- most of us could barely be troubled to change out of our pyjamas for class.

Now, as you know, I live in Manhattan. I wore my ironic-fake-fur-coat to work for the first time today, and realized, to my dismay, that I didn't look ironic-cool at all. There were tons of women going to work (or whatever) in ankle length fur coats - many of them made out of real fur. Since mine is particularly thick and ridiculous looking (it really does look like it was made out of raccoons) I just looked like a typical Midtown jerk in a fur coat.

Looking cool here, I'm realizing, is a lot more difficult. All the styles are taken. If I dress fancy, it's just the status quo. If I dress more shabbily or more hipster, it just looks like I'm a typical East Village kid who took the uptown express train by accident.

I'm going to have to think about this.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger kenju said...

Decisions, decisions! Hope you can come to a conclusion before too long. You could buy way too many coats trying to find the proper one.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Mirty said...

New York never changes. I remember being there in the 1980s and shopping with my friends from Fashion Institue of Technology. We went to great lengths to create "a look" only to meet the same look crossing the street.

Try the vintage stores and thrift shops. Also if you do make some friends in the fashion industry, you can get terrific deals. There are certain times and places when designer rejects (designer!) are sold for dimes off racks in the fashion district. (It helps if you can fit into a size six, as I once did, many moons ago.) I had fun with it, back then.

Now I shop quite happily at Target.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Find me on Google+