PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, December 09, 2005

Gimghoul Castle rendered in gingerbread

The Speed Gingerbread House technique Menticia and I employed is not the norm.

On the other hand, I don't know if this gingerbread house is typical either, at least for a kid project. It was constructed by father and daughter over the period of a week or more, with much time and thought being put in every day.

This dad, by the way, designed and supervised the construction of their house, which made it into a newspaper as an example of really cool digs. He also can be seen in the picture of Lite-Form and Me helping with concrete as it gushed into my house foundation. He's been my friend since 1975 and I introduced him to his wife, my best friend and co-singer!


The mom writes:
Her gingerbread creation (a facsimile of local Gimghoul Castle built by some mucky muck at the beginning of the 20th century probably to celebrate satanic Republic rites) won 3rd place at the Carolina Inn competition today. The other prizes went to showy more kid-style houses, so next year she's thinking of entering the "historic" category.

This construction project began with one of Google's aerial maps of the castle, rendered into a scale drawing.

The stones are rendered with pieces of graham cracker. Crushed oreos make the roof. The windows are fruit roll-ups.

I was consulted about turret-construction technique and it was my idea to build it out of rings (or you could call them donuts or bagels) of cookie dough, stacked. Since this young woman has an extremely strong and independent personality, I felt mighty honored that she followed my suggestion.

Look here for extravagant gingerbread palaces constructed by competition-minded grownups.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Michele said...

She must be so proud! Indeed, she should be in the historical catagory.

What a wonderful depiction of a Castle, and I am quite certain that I can see a fairy tale princess.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a rather personal connection to Gimghoul Castle...I was conceived within its stone walls! My parents were at the UNC Chapel Hill back in the late 50's and wound up serving as live-in caretakers at the castle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home