PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Sighing from afar...

A favorite blogger of mine, Mirty, listed her celebrity crushes and it seemed like it would be fun. (It was.)

When I looked online for pictures of these guys, I was so dissatisfied. What made me crush on them: their walking, loafing, talking, goofing, sneering, cracking jokes, getting ruffled. Most of the promo pictures are so slick and lifeless. These are the best I could come up with...

Jake Weber has a gorgeous voice, and he is very patient with his whacky wife who hears and sees the dead. He must be brilliant, he dashes off incomprehensible mathematical formulas on whiteboards.


John Cusack - had his perfect moments in Say Anything and High Fidelity. But did not strike me as a good candidate for successful self-enlightenment.


Adrien Brody - so adorable and helpless in Dummy, a much under-rated movie. Then he was, ahh, so noble and artistic in that perfect dark narrative, The Pianist. And so, so beautiful...


Jean Reno - he's usually a little bit (or a lot) scary, but was perfectly fetching and adorable as a medieval lord transported to our world in Just Visiting. That movie got rotten reviews but it made us laugh again and again. Reno has an incredibly sexy voice.


Kevin Kline - if he'd never done anything but Pirates of Penzance I would still love him forever. He sings! Dances! Swashbuckles! Wiggles the preposterous moustache! Raises an eyebrow!


Topol - I've never seen him in anything again since Fiddler on the Roof, but nothing more is necessary. An immortal performance and a permanent place in my heart. When such a man talks to God, how could God not listen? I loved the scene where he asks Golde for the first time, after so many years of marriage, "but do you LOVE me?" What a concept.


Joe Morton - after he was so heart-stoppingly perfect in Brother from Another Planet (here's my review), I never saw him again. I miss him. Come back, Joe. Or else beam me up. I can do all the talking for the two of us.


Judd Hirsch - even when I was a kid I though he had a cool voice. He was such a nice patsy in Taxi and he got cuter and cuter.


Albert Finney - my first movie crush in Tom Jones, a perfect, beautiful, winsome delight. He has continued being wonderful to this very day. He is still sexy, even as potbellied and frowsy as he has become.


Bill Bixby - I fell in love with him when he played The Incredible Hulk (here's my review). So sad, such a beautiful voice. When he tried to crack a joke, though, it was painful.

I enjoyed doing this meme, Mirty. It cheered up a lonely evening.


Technorati Tags: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Reno - Hubba hubba!
Theres something about piercing, impish eyes that front a decent brain and a sense of humour :-)

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger kenju said...

I'm with you on Finney and Bixby. Finney took my heart in Tom Jones, a great movie which I could watch over and over, especially the eating scene...LOL.
Bixby was in "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" before the hulk came on the scene. It was a good sit-com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home