PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, August 28, 2006

My Entire Day

can be summed up in the following CraigsList post. I wish I could say that it was not posted by me, but in fact, it was.

URGENT: SAW MY BOX SPRING MATTRESS IN HALF and get it upstairs $50 (Midtown West)
Reply to: gigs-200243713@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-08-29, 12:00AM EDT

Hi,

Help this damsel in distress please! tomorrow morning before 8:30 is ideal or after 5:30 PM.

I bought a full-size box spring and it does not fit up my apartment stairs (5th floor walkup). I have heard that you can saw it and fold it and then unfold it again at the top.

The box spring is sitting at the bottom of my stairs. I assume that it will be thrown out by someone soon if I don't get it up SOON.

Thus, this must happen tomorrow (tuesday) early AM or evening.

I will pay $50 to anyone who can get this thing up the stairs and make it work again once it is at the top. Will only pay if it is a workable boxspring at the end of the process. Thanks!!!!

Thanks!!!

* no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: $50 cash

2 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melina,
I enjoy reading your Mom n your's blog every day.

I'm only writing this to see if I can help you in your predicament. I had a house I lived in once that had the same obstacle that you are experiencing.

My solution was to build a mattress support system (you really don't need a box spring...) that would fit on a standard metal bed frame. The system was four small box frames made of 1 by 4 pine arranged so when laid next to each other and held together with bolts passing through predrilled holes using wingnuts to hold it together, made up a sturdy base for the top. When assembled, the frames span the full width of the frame and rest flush into the angle iron of the bed frame, so there is no lateral movement. I should note that 2 - 1 by 4's bolted together create a 2 by 4 and provide and incredible amount of load support. I believe I had 4 bolts per joining section, so that would be 12 bolts altogether. The corners of the boxes had small blocks of wood to stiffen the corners.

The top of the system is also made of 1 by 4 material, and is in 3 parts. This would be the slat system that lays on the bolted together base. The slat system has gaps between the 1 by 4's so air can circulate. The slats are drywall screwed into short 1 by 4 braces to keep them evenly spaced. These braces are strategically located to rest against the insides of the base supports so as not to allow movement of the slats once placed onto the base. The length of the slat system is as long as the mattress.

The whole system is then made up of 7 light weight parts that can be carried up stairs and around corners with ease.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Dear anonymous, thank you for this incredibly creative option. I wish that I were able to do this. Maybe in my next apartment....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home