PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Illustration Friday - "Spotted"


At first I thought I would try to paint this, my first still life, in pointillist fashion (spotted, get it?) but it didn't turn out that way. The microphone is spotted, though.

The original still life was composed by Gene Medler at Saturday's rehearsal for the North Carolina Youth Tap Ensemble. Gene's favorite pianist has married and moved to California, and though the pianist plans to fly back for the shows, he couldn't be at our first run-through this weekend.

So Gene hatched this high-tech plot: Scott, the pianist, would put his cellphone on his piano in California, on speaker phone, and at our rehearsal studio here in Chapel Hill, Gene would put his wireless mic next to the cell phone and feed it through a speaker so 30 young tap-dancers could hear the pianist in California.

The mic kept rolling off the box and so Gene took somebody's teddy bear (there are some mighty little tappers in the show) and propped the mic and the cellphone in the teddy bear's lap. Just like this.

I didn't have my camera with me, but when I got home I realized I could get my hands on a teddy bear, a cellphone, and a microphone.

So I set up the still life at home and sketched it.

Then I painted it for your amusement.



Technorati Tags:

3 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful still life, very rich and alive! Cool concept, and I enjoyed reading your blog!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger kenju said...

Wonderful! You are inspiring me to take up sketching again.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Ian russell said...

loved the story; so is that what they mean by musical improvisation? ;o)

very impressed by your sketching, and beautifully coloured.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home