PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, March 05, 2006

We play some colonial music...

Here are a few pictures from our day at the Ben Franklin Exhibit at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich...

Franklin invented the glass armonica, a rather expensive and fragile instrument. They had one at the museum, but when I had the time to try it out, it was too low on water, so I didn't get a chance. A glass armonicist is coming in a few weeks to give a concert.


Ben Franklin was a big hit with the French babes, doesn't he look like a dirty old man? Norman Rockwell did this study.


We were situated in a room with a wonderful exhibit called "Cinema, Swing & Satchmo: African-American Movie Posters" This poster, in Hebrew, had flummoxed the person who wrote the captions; explanations were eschewed in favor of something like, "in any language, you can tell what's going on in this poster." I wonder what the story actually was?


Here we are, just before our set.


After we left, I walked around downtown a bit and saw this display. I think the sign guy was overthinking his spelling. He shouldn't have tried so hard.



Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

The armonica does produce a beautiful sound. I've read that it fell into disuse because players suffered nerve damage in their hands or wrists from the vibration. Sounds plausible.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger PaintingLoft.com said...

I am dieing to get to the bruce museum.
Benjamin Franklin was an incredible man! I have tried to bring him back to life with a "Fresh Look" of Ben. A NEW portrait I have just completed in honor of his 300th birthday. My portrait was used for the New Town Seal of Franklin, MA; the first town to name themselves in his honor.
It is a Realist painting technique that dates back to the Renaissance time. Ben Franklin's eyes will follow you around the room much like the Mona Lisa.
you can check it out on my site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home