PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

"Let Memory Keep Us All," free mp3

Today's song is "Let Memory Keep Us All."

My ex-husband and I wrote the words in honor of Carol Boren Owens, early member of the Solstice Assembly and soloist on yesterday's song.

The lyrics are set to the tune of "The Death of Admiral Nelson," a song I learned from Peter Bellamy. Bellamy was one of the greatest singers and arrangers of the English folk music revival; I had the tremendous pleasure of doing a concert with him and my business partner Patrick Sky just a year or two before Peter died. The two of them filled many hours complaining about the contrast between the Good Old Days and - now.

I arranged the song for four parts and the Band of Ages backed us up.

This one is available on Under the Drawbridge, a cd which was featured on NPR's Weekend Edition with Margot Adler.

LET MEMORY KEEP US ALL (free mp3)

Previous free Christmas downloads:

December 19: The Lord at First did Adam Make - Carol Owens and the Solstice Assembly
December 18: The Sussex Mummers' Carol by the Solstice Assembly
December 17: The Holly Bears a Berry by the Solstice Assembly
December 16: In the Bleak Midwinter by Joe Newberry and the Buds. (Also complete list of songs)

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post; I found you through Google. I want to extend much-past-due appreciation to you, the Solstice Assembly, Band of Ages etc. for this song and the rest of the lovely music that has long enhanced my winter holiday season. "Three Log Night" has been my favorite December car tape since I found it in a Pennsylvania music store something like 18 years ago. Seeing my enthusiasm, a few years ago a friend of mine looked you up and got me the CD and songbook, wonderful additions to our household music library. Bright blessings to you, and may you long enjoy the music and art you create! -- JoyfulYes

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Wow, thank you! An unsolicited testimonial! It means so much to me that my music still matters to somebody!

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

--smiles-- don't mention it. I am a sentimental fool who loves to share music. I linked here in an email I sent to my close friends and family, so you may get a few more visitors. Good music never loses its delight.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Mayhew said...

Hi there. Some friends have been gathering over the last few months to sing music that we love, and somebody handed around the MP3 of "Let Memory Keep Us All". I was blown away by the words and music, and would like to work it up to perform at a larger gathering of singers next month. A few of our friends have lost loved ones recently, and the words of this song move me almost too much to sing. Do you have the words and/or music in a form that you might be willing to share? I've worked out the two low parts pretty well, but the high parts are harder for me to pick out. I'd also like to be able to give full credit to the writer. Thanks you
Mayhew

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Thanks Mayhew. I have the rights to this song and this arrangement and would be delighted that you want to sing it.

I did a great many mostly four-part arrangements for the Solstice Assembly - the cds are available at http://skylark2.com. I also put the arrangements in a book called "Let Memory Keep Us All" which I have at Lulu.com but have not released for public consumption yet because I wasn't quite finished with it. You give me a reason to complete the book. In the mean time, that particular arrangement is already available in the "Three Log Night Songbook" at the Skylark site (see above). Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home