PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, March 27, 2005

My morning begins with a bang!

So on this grey Easter morning I was (natch) browsing our local aggregator, NCblogs.com, when a headline at Collective Sigh got my immediate attention. It said:
Why is this night different from all other nights?
The question comes from the Pesach Haggadah, and was asked by the youngest person at the Seder table by Jews worldwide on Friday, March 25, 2005.
Friday March 25??? Candid Camera should have been here. I jumped up out of my chair, heart pounding, and snatched my calendar. Had a terminal brain cloud descended on me? How could I have missed Passover?? That's what an insecure old fart I am.

No, thankfully, Friday was Purim, not Passover. True, Purim we did mostly miss, except we made hamantaschen and the horrible mess that goes with them. Zed packed them off for distribution at school. They received an enthusiastic response.

We did forget to go to the temple to see my wonderful neuropsychopharmacologist friend dress up like Paul McCartney and play the tambourine.

By the way, I have a great recipe for hamantaschen, let me know if you want it. Ours are much better than those pallid, doughy disasters you usually get.

So anyway, while I was at Collective Sigh, I saw she had taken the Belief-O-Matic quiz and discovered herself to be 100% Liberal Quaker and 98% Neo-Pagan. So naturally (it being a grey and quiet morning) I had to go take the test too.

As usual they asked the wrong questions in the wrong way, but my top scores were Unitarian Universalism, Secular Humanism, Liberal Quaker, and in fourth place, Reform Judaism, which is what I'm actually signed on for. Isn't this stupid? Have you taken the test? How did it turn out for you?

Well, my heart is peaceful now. Passover starts at sundown, April 23, this year,so there is still plenty of time to go out and buy matzah.

And just after I left a comment on Collective Sigh, Elaine Riggs left one too, so I visited her blog which I'm very happy to have found.

And here, as a souvenir from my visit, her link-for-the-day:
Passion of the Tshotchke. Definitely worth it!

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

Secular humanism 100%
Unitarian Universalism 99% (What's THAT?)

After that the numbers go down.

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi mama,
I have friends who, weirdly enough, were beefing to me about this same internet quiz a couple days ago. One, (the Lutheran pastor in training) explained its flaws this way - she says that it asks questions from a perspective that is actually very common among Christians who don't have much exposure to other religions:

According to their philosophy, creed is everything. What you say you 'believe' determines your religion. ("I believe humans are redeemed through faith and good works." "No, I believe humans are redeemend through faith alone.") Your beliefs of this kind determine your denomination. So the people who wrote this quiz think that this is how all religions work - whereas in fact only a small minority of religions work this way - in most, one's creed is not the be-all-end-all - there are lots of different aspects to religion - I've had one rabbi, for example, who refused to answer the question of whether he believed in god.

anyway i hadn't known this, but apparently this is a fairly common misconception about non-Christian religions. (YOu believe X, thus you must be Y).
-Melina

 
At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a bit ironic, since, under the Biblical calendar, Passover did start on the evening of March 25. But that's not what the website meant... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home