PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, February 26, 2005

site: i used to believe

This is one of my favorite sites: I Used to Believe. Here are some of the childhood beliefs sent in by readers:

i used to think that people didnt die i just thought when they turned 100 they started all over again thats also why i thought old people were so short.

i used to believe that if i didnt spend equal amounts of time with each stuffed animal then one would get jealous and kill me in my sleep.

I think I am a relatively normal adult, but when I was five I used to believe that the goal of parents was to kill their kids. I remember once that I interrupted my father and he put his hand around my neck to quiet me down. I remember thinking, "okay this is it." Eventually, he let go and I thought to myself, "well, he won't do it now, there would be too many witnesses."

I always used to think that there was a totally different world through the mirror. The reason why we couldn't get through was because the person the looks exactly like you on the other world does the exact same thing. Whenever you poked the mirror to get to the other world, the other person pokes it too, blocking you from getting through.

I used to believe that when the judge sentenced a criminal to an impossibly long sentence (like 100+ years) that they kept his body in prison after he died until it was there for the whole sentence.

I couldn't understand why no-one had invented a word for something that isn't big but at the same time isn't small so I used to express the concept with the word "little-big" or "big-little". It was a revelation to me when my mother asked me go to the shops for a medium sliced loaf (of bread) and I discovered that someone somewhere had actually solved the problem that was perplexing me at the time.

I had a strange fear that if I closed my eyes in the bathtub, William Shakespeare would come up through the drain and kill me. I knew his name, but I had no idea who he was, so I just naturally assumed he was some sort of bathtub vampire

When I was younger, I wanted to be a kangaroo SO BADLY when I grew up. My dad spent hours trying to tell me that I couldn't be, and I threw horrible temper tantrums EVERY TIME.

I thought, in kindergarden, in order to read a book you had to read the page then turn it around and wave it back and forth. Little did I know the teacher was just showing us the pictures and it was not required if you were reading to your self.

For some reason, when I was very little, I thought that TV shows "stayed inside the TV" until it was turned on. When we watched TV, the shows were "leaking out." When I started going to school, I would come home in the afternoon, try to watch "Sesame Street" and find that it wasn't on. I then asked Mom not to watch TV while I was at school, as it "wasted" "Sesame Street."

I used to believe that if you saved the bits of crud that collected in your eyes overnight instead of wiping them away, they would eventually grow into a whole new eyeball. Every day I would leave the 'sleep' in the corner of my eye until I got to school where I would hide it behind a door. I was hoping that eventually I would grow an army of eyeballs there.

My Mum told me that the Queen used to have an injection every day so that she didn't have to go to the toilet like the rest of us. I always used to wonder why she was the only person allowed to have it.

I grew up in Texas and when I heard someone was "sentenced to death" I thought that they'd been forced to write the same sentence over and over again until they died, since one of my teachers at school made us write sentences on the blackboard when we were bad.

i used to think raisins were inside out flies. i still can't eat them to this day

I used to believe that cough medicine had a toggle effect. In other words, if you took cough medicine when you didn't have a cold, it gave you a cold

I used to believe that clowns were not people dressed up in costumes but were a separate race or species that always looked like that and married other clowns and had baby clowns and whole clown families.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, some of those are very funny! I can't remember anything really weird that I believed when I was a kid. I guess the strangest thing was, I used to think it was hot at the South Pole.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger SC&A said...

Wow.

Do NOT let a therapist see this- ever.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I used to believe that all cats were female and all dogs were male. Never mind the little procreation details. I believed it heart and soul, to an embarrassing age.

Thank you for the sweet comment. SC&A sent me this way, as well. A cup of tea would be perfectly lovely.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Cara said...

This is really sad, but when I was old enough to know about a woman's menstrual cycle...I thought that once I started having period that I would be bleeding for the rest of my life until menopause. For some reason when they taught us these things through those cheesy movies at school..I missed the part that you would only have a period one week out of a month. It wasn't until I started my own period that I freaked out and told my older sister that I didn't want to bleed forever because who would want to have a baby with me when I got older if I were bleeding all the time. LOL (can you tell that my Mom never taught me about the birds and the bee's?)
My daughter that is 9 already knows more than I ever knew at her age. We are very open about talking about sex because I don't want there to be any misunderstandings like I had!! LOL

Oh, btw, I came here via Michele..you have a great blog site!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

These are great! When I was a kid, I used to love the Narnia books....and I thought that if I could just find the right closet, I could go there, too!

Wandering thru via Michele....thanks for visiting my blog. Great site you have here!

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to believe that in a marriage ceremony the act of kissing the bride made a baby lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home