PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, February 25, 2005

Bloglines, because I can't keep up.

I just discovered Bloglines. It's a fast way to look at the new entries on a bunch of blogs and what I particularly like about it is:
  • The type is large so I don't have to squint at sites with little white letters on black backgrounds (or little blue letters on purple backgrounds or...)

  • I don't have to wade through advertisements and things that blink and shudder. I have excellent peripheral vision and some of those ads give me mal de mer.
Anyway, a site I enjoy scanning on Bloglines is Quotes of the Day, as I am just goofy in love with l'esprit d'escalier. Here are a few excellent zingers:


Thomas Fuller"Many would be cowards if they had courage enough."
Italian Proverb"Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box."
Sigmund Freud"America is a mistake, a giant mistake."
Neil Armstrong"I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises."
J. Paul Getty"The meek shall inherit the Earth, but not its mineral rights."
Will DurantOne of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
And a couple music quotes:
Aaron CoplandThe whole problem can be stated quite simply by asking, 'Is there a meaning to music?' My answer would be, 'Yes.' And 'Can you state in so many words what the meaning is?' My answer to that would be, 'No.'
Friedrich NietzscheOnly sick music makes money today.

Speaking of music quotes, the excellent Lynne at Reflections in d minor has a good one, from the limitless stockpile created by instrumentalists mocking each other:

Richard StraussNever look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.

Her website provides "Music, art, culture, Web-surfing, backwoods living and arrogant opinions." The type is not tiny and there are no annoying blinking ads. You'll love it.

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger SC&A said...

Great Quotes!

Freud and Neitzsche- priceless.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Babette said...

Great music quotes! Strauss' comment to the trombones reminds me of the old George Booth "New Yorker" cartoon where he beseeches--"A little less booze from the trombones!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home