PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Aman, Aman

Here is one of my favorite Serbian songs. "Aman" sort of means "Oy Vey" or "Yeah Baby."
Aman, Aman, One dinar for one coffee
Two dinars for two
How much would it take for me to wake you up?

Aman, Aman, One dinar for one bottle of wine
Two dinars for two
How much would it take for your heart to sing?

Aman, Aman, One dinar for one song
Two dinars for two
How much would you give for me to sing to you till dawn?

Technorati Tags: ,

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Janet said...

I blogrolled you. :) I remember what it's like to be new. Everyone has to start someplace.

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im from serbia but i have never heard for that song :)

anyway
"aman" is turkish word.. meaning depend from context, but "aman aman" means "for something to happen to someone, to die"


word "aman" is used in serbia, bosnia, bulgaria, greece and ofcourse turkey becasue otoman empire ruled balkans for 400 yrs...

in that song "aman aman" make no sence... it is in the song only because of rime, but there is no sence for that...

when "aman" is said alone or with another word it can have different meaning but "aman aman" is asociated with death...

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am also from Serbia and I (also) never heard that song, although I like it.

I would disagree with Sanja that "aman" is associated only with death. It can also be an exclamation of grief or dismay and fits perfectly to this kinda funny message of the song.

This is an excellent post! Do you at least know who sings that song (or anything else about it)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home