PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, September 30, 2023

Music Video: "Our Captain Cried All Hands."

I heard this song from the wonderful band The New St. George in 1994 and fell in love with it. My kids and I had a family band called Flash Company toward the end of the 1990s and we performed it a couple of times. I wanted to revive it when I started playing with Jack Herrick and Bob Vasile a few years ago, but it's tricky because the verses are very short and dense and it was hard to figure out how to space them out for some breathing room. The tune I finally settled on is a version of the English Country Dance "Mary and Dorothy." Bob sang and played bouzouki and I tracked the rest of it. 

I made this video when I was visiting my daughter and had no access to art supplies, so it was all done on computer. I just got a drawing tablet and am struggling to make it work. My granddaughter and I really laughed over the last image (they were mostly generated by Bing Image Search) because the woman so clearly is not buying what her sailor is trying to sell her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home