PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Another music video with paper cutout animation: Away With These Self-Loving Lads

This one has some moments that really make me laugh, amusing myself as usual. It didn't take as long to put together because the song is shorter and there are fewer "scenes." It's a challenge figuring out what to do during the instrumental breaks. In this case, I took the original songbook cover from 1587, cut the images out of it and blew them up and colored them. The idea was going to be, they were going to hop out of the cover, and if I had fancy software I could have done that, but my end result is so simplified I fear the idea was lost. It was fun, anyway. The song was recorded in my living room in 1990. At that time I had a four-track machine and a two-track machine and the cuts were edited with a razor blade and tape. A tiny sliver of the first verse was just - blank space - on the cd, which astonished me. Had I really not noticed this, way back when? Or did I just forget? I thought maybe it was a manufacturing error so I went up in the attic and dragged down some boxes of these 33-year-old cds and tried some others, the silence was on all of them. I tried to paper it over by copying a smidgin of the instrumental break into the hole and then singing a half-word over the top. It was not very successful but I think it's better than the sliver of silence. I paid my granddaughter 6.5 cents per angel for her artwork! The angel in the last scene is doing a dance modeled after "Toto ballerino" which my sister-in-law sent to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home