PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

[Hannah]: Again this obsession with red!

I have found the enchanting, oh-so-patronizing website www.mobmakeover.com, which stands for "Mother of the Bride Makeover".

Once again, this obsession with red:
I get it… I have been dressing mothers for a very long time. But, there are limits. One “no-no” is red… let me say that, no let me scream that again: NO RED! It’s not about the style so much as the color RED. Why? you ask. Isn’t it obvious? Red conveys a certain thirst for life that just isn’t appropriate for your daughter’s or son’s wedding, even if you just can’t stand the other mother or her dress.
But wait...
However, red is a terrific color for almost any other woman at a wedding (think guests) or for almost any special occasion (think black tie gala, charity event, dinner party etc.). Red, especially in the form of a flowing gown, telegraphs confidence and excitement.
I don't understand!!??? I guess you're just not allowed to be confident and excited. Sorry.

Are you listening, ma?
Ask your child, prior to purchasing your dress, what expectations or dreams or requirements he or she has for your dress. Ask about their ideas about the style and color of your dress. If possible, ask your son or daughter to join you on your shopping expedition; be sure to make it fun and include a lunch or dinner so the focus can be about the experience not just about your dress. And don’t forget to make sure that you ask about the other mother. Show your concern that you want both your dress and the other mother’s dress to look just perfect for the wedding.
Oh man, I'm dying here.

So what can you wear? This fine website recommends this, and who am I to disagree?

3 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, Blogger melinama said...

So I'm not allowed to have thirst for life? That's ok honey, I'll just sit here in the dark.

I guess I better start sewing rhinestones on something.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Seeing those ultra-youthful women at the MOB site, I realize we're going to have to cut back on the wedding so I'll have the dough for botox and an appropirate dress. Also, I note the website misspells rehearsal.

It's ok - we'll have mac and cheese, but I'll look really good.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

Yeah, nothing says "mother of the bride" to me like an 18 year old in a gold lame minidress showing her crotch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home