PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, December 03, 2007

Jethro hauls his cart around the neighborhood.

Yesterday I added an old tire to the travois with wheels and we dragged it around the neighborhood.

(There are a lot of eating pictures because I can easily use the camera when Jethro's eating; I don't need to tell him "stand," there's no place else he'd rather be.)


This morning I hitched him up to the cart he came with. I wasted a lot of time trying to get him to back into the lean-to (you see it in the background) between the shafts. No go. So I tied him to a tree and brought the shafts to him. An acceptable compromise.

I think he looks rather pleased with himself.

Anybody know anything about this sort of cart? You can click on the pictures to see them more clearly. This one must have been built for a miniature donkey - I would never be able to see over Jethro's butt!


So then we walked around the block. I couldn't get far enough away to get his head in the picture. I'm hoping some knowledgeable people will give me suggestions about how to improve this rig. (I notice the seat is tipped backwards; considering that there is no seatbelt, this seems a bit risky.)

In the mean time, though, I'm proud to have gotten this far.

I know nothing about the next step, which is ground driving (you put reins on a bridle, feed them through the saddle thingy, stand behind and pretend you're on a cart, working on left and right and especially STOP). Until then, we'll just trundle around the block so he can strengthen his pulling muscles.

UPDATE: Let it be noted that at 3:02 pm Jethro had his first passenger, a neighborhood kid named Pasqual who got a mile-long ride and told me Jethro should be charging for this fine taxi service.

Technorati Tags:

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Strengthen his muscles??? That cart looks like it weighs about two pounds! Jethro could pull fifty of it. Very cute, ma.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Lucky Pasqual! I'm very jealous! Way to go to both you and Jethro for a day well spent.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Marycelis Pacheco said...

SO COOL...Atta boy Jethro, I am rootin for you...

I wish I can get a ride on Jethro..

-Marycelis

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Alma said...

Congrats on the progess, Melinama. He's growing up so fast (... sniff sniff...)

GO JETHRO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home