PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Pratie Heads at "The State of Things"

This is what the tobacco warehouse looked like in the 1870s when it was built.


Some morons covered it up with copper-colored metal in the 1960s. It was un-updated (the metal was removed and renovated wonderfully.


North Carolina Public Radio is housed here, at the American Tobacco Historic District, a spot in downtown Durham I'd never seen before. It's a little world of its own. I was particularly amazed by an extravagant course of water which rushes past the building. Was this always here?


Frank Stasio, the host of "The State of Things," is a right guy. He and his associate, Mark Dvorak-Little, were friendly and warm and made us feel welcome.


It was pouring rain when we left. I wanted to try harder to get good pictures of this whole setup with the train and the sluice and all, but I was soaked.

You can hear the podcast of our 18-minute segment. I wish I hadn't been so nervous and interrupted Bob so much (jeesh, how embarrassing! Blegh!) and I wish his guitar had been louder, but oh well.

.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger dmarks said...

Nice blog. Stumbled upon it when looking for reference to the Cuyahoga river fire. I just love anything with historic pictures in it like this.

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Bob sounded fantastic. It didn't sound like you interrupted him. Don't be so hard on yourself! It was a real treat to be able to hear you all the way out here in California.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Thanks Sylvia! I groan to myself about what a pushy broad I sounded like. Appreciate your kind words...

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Alma said...

Just heard the podcast. You and Bob sounded great! My husband and I have been going to a nearby Irish pub lately after-work on Fridays for boxties, bangers, etc., yum! They play good rock (heavy on the U2 and Van Morrison) intermingled with more traditional Irish music. The music you played reminds me of the festive atmosphere we enjoy there. Good times...

Also, I really liked hearing your voice. I have to admit, I feel a bit guilty, sort of like Tom Hanks in "You've Got Mail," where he knew more about his pen pal then she knew about him. Still, I appreciate you sharing the podcast! Now when I read your blog, I will "hear" your reading it, too.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Thanks Alma! I wish we could all hear each other's voices...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home