PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, December 18, 2006

On the third night of Hannukah ...

... I was at Wrightsville Beach, in a nearly deserted hotel out on the causeway. It was supposedly a nice hotel, and there was an earnest pre-printed note from the housekeeping service saying, "We have done an exceptional job cleaning your room," but there was a roach in the bathroom. I killed it and left it where it fell as a mute commentary on the exceptional service.

We lit the candles and watched tv - I rarely watch anything which is not in Spanish and I was still sick so the kindly documentary on giraffes was about my speed.

Now if one forgets, as we did, that there are no restaurants out there on the causeway, and no grocery stores, then one ends up having the lovely hours-long walk in the morning without breakfast. We were very thirsty, too, because there is no potable water available out on the causeway.

The plovers and pelicans were busy. It was about eighty degrees, we were all strolling the beach in our shirtsleeves. Little children were gamboling in the surf in their bathing suits and there were numerous surfers.

I got a bit of a sunburn. We went to Wilmington (a town I like very much) and had grouper sandwiches. I came home feeling it had been a great vacation from winter.

4 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger The Science Goddess said...

Ah, you've never stayed at a Super 8 where they have their little plastic signs pointing out the "cleaning rags" they've left for your use. Sounds like you got an upgrade if people (other than you) are available to clean. :)

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first I thought you said EIGHT degrees and I thought you must be super robust to be strolling about in your shirtsleeves. Eighty degrees sounds much more pleasant. I enjoyed the bit about the housecleaning sign. It reminded me of one time when I chartered a sail boat for a day sail with some friends. The kid who showed us around the boat was very snotty and kept saying if we didn't leave the boat exactly as we found it we would lose our deposit. He went into great detail showing us how to flush the head (toilet), admonishing us not to clog it with great wads of TP or our "feminine" trash. I looked into the head and saw a lone turd floating defiantly. I pointed it out to him and asked if we had to replace it with one of our own in order to get our deposit back. He didn't think I was very funny.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Alma said...

Great stories!!! ROFL!!!

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sylvia~~Ahoy Matey!!!...Maybe HE didn't think it was funny, but I thought it was very funny. Do you think that Juan and Renata got the same lecture??~~~Susanlynn, staying away from the high seas now

 

Post a Comment

<< Home