PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving: saved by an apple

Thanksgiving is a hard time of year for divorced families, ask any of us. Last year it was "my turn" to have Melina and Zed, and a fine time we had - an excellent dinner followed by a most entertaining session of welding and, even more fun, the exploding of aluminum cans into fiery blobs with the oxyacetalyne torch.

So this year it is my ex's turn, and there is sickness over at his house, so things are stressful and I haven't seen much of my kids since their first sleep marathons...

And today started with a very sad conversation with a dear friend, I felt desolate, and the house was even emptier and quieter than usual after that...

Eventually it was time to start making a big pie to take to the Thanksgiving dinner I've been invited to (I'm the lonely stray they're taking in this year).

I started to cheer up when I got out the apple peeler - it's exactly like the ones the colonists used hundreds of years ago, only made of plastic. I used to hate peeling apples but I love this gizmo so much, every time I turned the crank I felt a little better.

My recipe suggested using two kinds of apples, so in addition to the usual Granny Smiths I'm trying some local Nittany apples. It's true, I generally grumble at the expense of our local yuppie-foodie-no-price-too-high Whole Foods Market, but when I took a bite of one of their Nittany apples, I smiled for the first time all day.

Perhaps half of this apple slipped into the cook as she chopped.

Then my brother in Los Angeles called to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving and tell me his dream is to get our families, and my other brother's family, together for Thanksgiving at least once more in our lifetimes. I have my doubts but it was great to hear from him.

So I took the label off that wonderful Nittany apple and I stuck it up on the post near the stove, to remind me that little things can turn your day around if you let them. Now the pie is baking and it smells wonderful.

I'm thankful I have someplace to go; I'm thankful that my kids did not get stuck in some crowded airport somewhere, but made it home safely, and that they slept happily under my roof; I'm thankful I'll see them tomorrow. And, of course, I'm thankful that I'm enjoying yet another day above ground.

Technorati Tags:

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

It's funny how something simple can turn a day around.

I hope you have a peaceful Thanksgiving!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger mic said...

what is this? An apple peeler takes the most important from that apple...
Under the pearing is the natural protection program of the natur, that our body can use to protect itself....

My Site with english and german articles an pressreleases concerning health, nutrition, anti aging and medicin.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Melinama, I am thankful that I happened on your website a few months ago when I typed in ''Alborada'' because I had discovered an interesting show set in Mexico somewhere in time with beautiful people in lovely costumes .I really wanted to know what they were saying!!!! In so doing, I met you and your life and world as a bonus. I loved today's post. Hub and I just returned from Canada where we spent Thanksgiving with our elder daughter who moved there a few months ago. Our younger daughter is in Japan right now, but for the past few years, she has been spending Thanksgiving with her in laws about 3 hours from here. My son-in-law spent the holiday with friends in New Hampshire. [His brother called us to see if we'd like to spend the day with his girlfriend and him. Sweet guy...I consider him my bonus son-in-law!!] My Thanksgivings have become mystery events. Hub and I aren't sure where we'll spend the day. The last 2 were spent in Manhattan with Daughter #1 and her beau. It was weird watching loads of people get off the ferry from NYC after the parade and then get on the almost empty ferry to make our way to our daughter's apartment. Quite unlike my many previous Thanksgivings on my parents' farm with lots of relatives or those at my in-laws. Happy Thanksgiving to you , dear Melinama. ~~~Susanlynn, who is going to look for Nittany apples at the grocery store...wonder where the name came from ???...Penn State Nittany Lions???

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so interesting to cruise around and hear about everyone's holiday. Everything from folks celebrating with dozens of relatives to a woman who ate in a restaurant alone, and everything in between. Thanks for letting me in on YOUR holiday.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I very much enjoyed this post! Just goes to show, there can be surprising pleasure in unlikely places.

Last Tuesday amid the bustle of everyone rushing around to get their Thanksgiving in order I saw 1) a perfect tiny flower assert its life in a crack in the asphalt, 2) a pierced and tattooed teen politely give up his shopping cart, the last one available, to an elderly woman, and 3) a handwritten note of inspiration (not silly) posted on a crowded bulletin board that made me pause, consider, and adjust my attitude. One of these would have made me feel good, but all three...what a bonus!

Sylvia, another Alborada pal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home