Most popular funeral songs
The Research for the Bereavement Register poll found these to be the songs most frequently requested for funerals in Britain:
- Goodbye My Lover - James Blunt
- Angels - Robbie Williams
- I've Had The Time Of My Life - Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley
- Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
- Pie Jesu - Requiem
- Candle In The Wind - Elton John
- With Or Without You - U2
- Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton
- Every Breath You Take - The Police
- Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
- Danny Boy
Others in the top twenty were Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan), I Want To Live Forever (Fame), and Reach for the Stars (S Club 7)
I've sung at several funerals - in fact, I've sung "Danny Boy" at two. "Amazing Grace" is very popular here in North Carolina. I notice there are no hymns in the list, that surprises me.
So what do you want played at YOUR funeral?
UPDATE: Some songs I've done at funerals:
Bob and I (The Pratie Heads, are currently (spring 2008) recording an excellent funeral song: "Fear No More the Heat of the Sun," words by Shakespeare (from Cymbeline), music by composer Penka Kuneva.
FURTHER UPDATE from Australia:
Hymns are being replaced at funerals in one Australian city by popular rock classics like Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" and AC/DC's "Highway to Hell."
Leading the funeral chart is crooner Frank Sinatra's classic hit "My Way," followed by Louis Armstrong's version of "Wonderful World," a statement said.
The Led Zeppelin and AC/DC rock anthems rank outside the top 10, but have gained ground in recent years as more Australians give up traditional Christian hymns.
"Some of the more unusual songs we hear actually work very well within the service because they represent the person's character," Centennial Park chief executive Bryan Elliott said.
Among other less conventional choices:
- "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" by the Monty Python comedy team;
- "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead;"
- "Hit the Road Jack;"
- "Another One Bites the Dust;"
- "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead."
Technorati Tags: Songs, Music, Funerals