PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Okay, I did my art for this week:

[Melina does "Illustration Friday"...]


E is for eel. (I also looked up pictures of "eucalyptus" and "elephant," but they seemed too hard.) This picture is inspired by an Imax movie I saw at the Natural History museum this past weekend about the islands of Galapagos (self-important narration by Kenneth Branagh). A happy and winsome 40s-ish marine biologist, wearing very short shorts, explored the islands and showed us all the strange animals. She also floated 3000 feet down to the ocean floor in a giant mechanical gerbil-ball and used a long plexiglass tube to vacuum up various marine creatures she thought looked interesting, the better to poke at them in the science lab (While entertaining, her vacuum-and-poke methodology did not seem to represent 21st century science at its best). She also dove with sharks, which seemed harmless, and with eels, which seemed mean. "Most eels are quite shy," Kenneth Branagh narrated serenely as a posse of four eels lunged at the marine biologist's fingers. "Once again, the animals of Galapagos surprise us."

I too use my great aunt's watercolor paper. It's so strong you can leave it in the bath tub for an entire day and it'll come out just as good as new.

Technorati Tags:

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

As usual, your blog is the bright spot in my day; your wit seems to match my own, most of the time anyway.

(Although I'm not a musician, I'm not Jewish, I don't live in the south...hmmm...well, we don't have that much in common. But you shore do make me grin, g-f!)

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

A wonderful illustration and a great story to go with it. My idea of most IMAX movies is very similar. LOL! I worked at a science museum for 20 years and saw more than my fill of their insipid plots.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

This is beautiful! Well, as beautiful as an eel can be. Which isn't that beautiful...but you have accomplished this very well nonetheless!

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Good work, my daughter! Thanks for joining "Illustration Friday" with me.

Now I want to know HOW you know the paper can survive a day in a bathtub. ??

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger steve said...

Excellent painting! Eels rule!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home