PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Illustration Friday - "E is for en espacio"

This is my second week of participating in Illustration Friday. Last week there were about 600 participants. The prompt was "E is for..." and I did this mockup for a book I'm writing in Spanish and English with my mentee, Menticia, who's so excited about it she's already drafting the sequel though we've barely begun with volume one.

What I learned this week: masking fluid does not work as well as I thought it would. The bottle I bought - at great expense - is very thick and gums up quickly. I heeded warnings and used a cheap brush. But when I scratched it off my "stars" they looked awful. I should have just blobbed them on afterwards.

I also learned that I should have painted this larger and then reduced it. That would have sharpened it up. And, I shouldn't have mixed color in the contrail. Next time, it will be solid. And, I should have put a ruled line down before I lettered freehand.

I also learned I like watercolor paper better than the canvas pad I used last week. I have a few sheets in the attic which my aunt gave me thirty years ago and which I've saved for just such an occasion!

Technorati Tags:

5 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful illustration,I like it.
Lost in the space is to be right...

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Zórdís said...

El espacio ..... what an interesting direction out in space. Seems scary, seems full of adventure. Like your strong colours!

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Great job!!!!!

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love the style in this illo!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home