PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Illustration Friday (Sea)

This is the second painting I've done in thirty years. Illustration Friday is a friendly group project - Penelope sends a theme (this week, obviously, "Sea") and anybody who wants to participate sends a link.

Some of the participants are professionals, some are rank amateurs like me. One is a ten-year-old girl, her stuff is good!

At Penelope's site you can visit all of the week's links and you can get on the list too, if you like.

At first I thought I'd start a new, covert blog to post this picture on, because I was embarrassed. Then I thought about all the years I taught "Songs for Non-Singers" and how much I admired my students for being willing to take a chance on something that had frightened them all their lives, and I thought, "if they could all come and sing in front of me, then I can post this picture on my blog."

The older we get, the more we become accustomed to only doing things we are already good at. I think it's good to fight that kind of comfort, don't you?

Technorati Tags:

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger n. said...

This reminds me of the Tintin Reporter books ... (^_^)

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are SO not a rank amateur if this is any example of your work. And I agree with Natalialove, it does look a bit like Tintin. You could do illustration for a living, hon!

Michele sent me.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I'm looking forward to #s 3, 4, and more. What a gift you have!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

great painting -- nicely done.

thanks for visiting and giving me the info on the Illustration Friday project

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger kenju said...

i AM impressed! Apparently your creativity extends to all area of life, not just music. You really should paint more often!

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I am in awe of anyone who can draw, especially that well. In my next life I'd like to be a watercolor artist and a piano player. "Can't" do either in this life.

Is there a story behind this painting? Who is that guy?

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger MLight said...

I'm impressed (but I don't draw anything more complicated than stick figures). It does remind me of Tintin.

I agree about trying things you don't feel good at - that's part of why I started a blog. I'm not a writer, and I've always hated writing, but I had all these ideas swirling around in my head.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Hi,

No, no story really behind the guy - I found him on Google - but I do have pictures just like this of my own dad and brothers so it just seemed right!

Thanks everybody for your encouraging words! I'll try another one next week...

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger elegraph said...

well, you can be proud to post this conspicuously - it's quite good! keep 'em coming.

 
At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I've been thinking about participating in Illustration Friday, but I have to get past my block about drawing something other than what I do for work.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

I particularly like the knees. I think you got the knees just right.

(I have a thing about knees. Knees are funny.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home