PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Pictures from today's Eno Festival.

I picked up Menticia and her sister today (had to kind of shake them out of bed) and we headed out to the Festival for the Eno. This year's mascot is the chipmunk, as featured in this sand sculpture.

I gave them a tour of the whole park and then set them loose to wander on their own. They were struck (not particularly favorably) by a big boisterous bunch of boomer belly dancers and reported that somebody in the crowd was yelling: "You go, granny!"


For local musicians this is the place to see the folks you haven't seen all year. Each year we get a little older but we're still above ground!


The Fourth of July weekend is always very hot in North Carolina. One year it was so hot at the Eno that the hide glue holding Bob's instruments together started to melt and he had to have all the braces reglued.


So today, as usual, was very hot. This caused me some embarrassment in our last number - my clavicle and chin were so sweaty the violin slipped a few inches and I missed a measure or two. Bob looked at me in horror but I hitched it back up and finished the tune with him.

These pictures were taken by mo pair (he does not capitalize his name), a singer-songwriter from Austin Texas who is couchsurfing at my house. He's on his way to Quebec, playing wherever he can. He was gonna go walk around Chapel Hill today but I dragged him to the Eno instead, saying "for you to come all this way and be here, fortuitously, the weekend of this festival and NOT GO TO IT would be like me being in (looked down at his Kerrville Folk Festival t-shirt) whatever town the Kerrville Folk Festival is in and passing it up in favor of feeding pigeons."

After the Pratie Head set, I fed Menticia and her sister (we had French crepes, Greek souvlaki, Polish sausage, and good old American ribbon fries); we marvelled over the lovely crafts, took in a bit more music, then I drove them home and am currently collapsed, enjoying A/C.

mo is still at the Eno, he's going to come back here via the Zedmobile after Zed finishes his volunteer stint cutting up and serving a boatload of watermelons (ie, the melons are chilling in a canoe full of ice stationed next to his booth).

.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day. I love music festivals.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger kenju said...

We've lived here for 37 years and I have never been to that festival. I think we should go next year!

 
At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures! And good food, too. What more could a person want? :-)

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Craig said...

I think Kerrville is where they have that prison rodeo. I believe the state pen is the town's main industry.

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun, great pics. Menticia is really growing up! I'll bet Bob is the only person who noticed that you missed a measure.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Schoolmarm said...

Melinama, great pictures and the story about your instrument slipping, while alarming to you as it happened, I suppose, gave me a chuckle. I used to have the same problem with my flute because my lip got sweaty when we marched in the hot uniforms years ago.

Jeanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home