PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Thursday, November 15, 2012

My online life has become quite fractured.

When I started Pratie Place all those years ago, I was living alone and wondering what to do with my life. I began it because I didn't understand the word "blog" and it was easier to start one than to figure out what a blog was. Learn by doing.

Since then curiosity has led me into many other online ventures and I find it's hard to keep up with any of them because I did figure out what to do with my life, and I'm no longer rattling around alone in this house (I have a roommate and my son lives nearby). Here are some of the places my online energy has drifted:

  • Polish Jewish Cabaret: this is where I'm keeping track of my efforts to find the Yiddish theater song melodies to go with the texts published by enthusiastic theater fan and bookseller Itzik Zhelonek (Izaak Zielonek, Jelonek) who issued at least six books of "Newest Theater Songs" in 1933 and 1934.

  • Wedding Music in North Carolina is where I hope brides looking for musicians like us will find us.

  • Weddings in North Carolina is a blog I recently had to start building from scratch because my Wordpress version, which I'd been keeping since 2009, "got completely corrupted" in the bland language of the host webhostingpad.com. Note the passive language. Nobody will take responsibility for it. It's like the wonderful Spanish construction: "The bottle fell itself to me." I didn't drop it, no way.

  • I'm sort of embarrassed to admit it, but I went on a hare with the peculiar online community Squidoo and put up about 150 "lenses" as they call them. It was fun at the time but now I look at them and cringe at all the trashy ads on them (that's the price of using the platform). Here's an example: How to Avoid Christmas.

  • Most of the cute little things I used to share on this blog now end up on Facebook.

  • The most successful of all my babies is the Telenovela blog Caray, Caray! When I was learning Spanish, I got the bright idea of recapping an entire novela (that's an hour a day five days a week for five or nine months baby!) here at Pratie Place. When I finished I was exhausted but there were 1200 hits a day of other people hooked on the cheesy but delightful show I was recapping, and they didn't want me to stop. I moved the party over to Caray, Caray! where about 30 recappers are now watching these shows. We've had 5.5 million page views and get 3300 page views a day, from all over the world. We have visitors from Saudi Arabia, Albania, Nigeria, the Phillipines...

I'd lost my camera for quite a while but I found it recently so will try to post more pictures of the animals, who continue to have their own strong opinions about everything.

2 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Alma said...

I do miss your posts, especially the animal adventures!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger novelera said...

We are always grateful for any Pratie Place blog post.

And, those of us who spend lots and lots of hours posting comments and writing recaps are eternally grateful to you for Caray, Caray, a very successful baby, indeed. In fact an analogy for this baby could be Harvard grad, Rhodes scholar, MacArthur genius award, etc., etc., if you were the parent of this baby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home