PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My favorite flower (mayn balibte blum)

I took this picture on the way out of camp this morning as we headed for the airport after Yiddish Week. Chicory may be a weed but the blue of it delights me.

Chicory is chikoria (or was it tchikorye?) in Yiddish, I was informed by someone who told me that long after she moved from Poland to America his mother longed for hot brewed chicory - it was used over there instead of coffee because it was cheaper "but a lot of people preferred its flavor."

We got caught in the FAA computer outage today and so I feel lucky to be home, but it's been a long day. Jethro enjoyed the kosher peanut-butter sandwich I brought him. The chickens are all dead - but that's another story.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Jen said...

So sorry to hear about the chickens. They're a fragile species.

But looks like you had a great time at camp--thanks for sharing it with us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home