PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Melinama goes holiday shopping at Griffin Wrecking and Salvage.

This is by no means the first thing you see when you enter D. H. Griffin - first you go past balers, and then you pass bales and bales of aluminum and steel crushed things - but it's the first thing I could get a picture of. The place is not set up for tourists.


Where is a little kid when you need one to go "ooh" and "aah"? As a grownup, I feel funny going "ooh" and "aah" by myself.


Here is the front office of D. H. Griffin. There are three guys in it. One takes your money. The other two are discussing possible future career options.


Here is the first showroom. Blessedly, there are no Christmas carols being played over any loudspeaker.



However, the place is not entirely bereft of holiday cheer, as you will see by the wreath towards the left in this picture. Is it salvage, or has it been purposefully introduced to brighten the spirits of employees and customers? I forgot to ask.


Let it not be said that there are no aesthetically inclined souls at junkyards. MOMA would pay a fortune for this piece.


Why is there a piano at the metal salvage yard?


Is there something wrong with me, that I like this kind of stuff so much?


There are so many good stocking-stuffers to choose from!


Finally I caught sight of something which might serve my purpose - I need to make a ramp for Jethro's trailer, which I got for free from the Gentleman Farmer in McCleansville.


They came with a loader to take it over to the torch.


A guy cut it up for me, no charge. The box itself cost $25.





An onlooker must always be involved.

I came home with an awful lot of steel in the car, very pleased with my find.

.

2 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holiday shopping at the salvage yard? I like your style!!

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha....Did they offer to wrap it for you ????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home