PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Thursday, December 20, 2007

"Flash" and java scripts are making me more insane than I was already.

{rant}

I am so so tired of websites oozing backwards and forwards. It offends tired eyes. Why does any web designer think we want words to get larger or smaller, or change color, or move to the left and right, whenever our cursors come near them?

Why does the local weather site think we want the days of the week to move to the left at their own pace? Why does it think we want the little cloud icons to swell and then detumesce? Blessedly, in this case there's a "no-flash" version which I've bookmarked - usually, unfortunately, no "no-harass" option is offered, we are captive to some idiot's idea of genius.

I stopped using Yahoo's tv guide when it started shimmying under the cursor.

The animated advertisements are so irritating I have a piece of paper to hold up over them as they dance and beckon.

How about those horrible bubbles of information which well up unbidden when my cursor strays towards a file name in my own "windows explorer" directory trees! It makes me nervous. Isn't there any way to make it stop? Please, file names, just lie there on the page quietly and stop yelling at me! I don't care how many pixels you contain!

And how about those ghastly websites with navigation menus which only appear when you roll your cursor over them - and if the cursor moves a bit to the left or right, the menus disappear!

The cursor has become dangerous, it leads me into dismal circuses of fun. When I'm at one of these bossy, multimedia embossed websites, I try to keep the cursor far from anything which might explode or turn colors or offer unwanted options.

Even more obnoxious: sites which begin talking, singing, playing little tunes when you open them. I don't care if it's the site itself which is crooning away, or some loquacious little advertising avatar - I flee as fast as I can get my cursor to the little X in the upper right hand corner of the screen...

Please, you technology nitwits, remember:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

{/rant}

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Alma said...

Amen! I hate those ads with the cartoon people (or hippos or creepy green aliens) dancing and gyrating incessantly...

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Detumesce"...cool word!

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes yes yes to every point!

A web developer myself, I'd like to see a study of what age and sex the web developers are for sites with horrible bells & whistles. I'd put money on it that they're male and under-25.

Except for church sites, many of which are developed by older folks and are full of cutesy moving things and trite music. Because they're so proud that they can they lose all sight of aesthetics and common sense?

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Badaunt said...

I recently discovered the 'no-script' plugin for Firefox, and now I get some lovely blank spaces in some of the pages I visit. :-)

I totally recommend it. It's easy to use, the block for Flash and Java is on by default, but you can easily choose 'allow' or 'temporarily allow' for individual pages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home