PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Rain: guess which animals know how to come in out of it?

This morning it rained for the second time since early August. Isn't it a wonderful thing to see, hear, and smell?

It's the first time it's rained since Jethro the donkey has lived here. He's furious. I'm sure he thinks the rain is another of my perfidious schemes.

He has (as you know) a lovely shed, but he's afraid of it. He was standing looking drenched and miserable out in the grass. I cut two apples into small pieces and walked out into the squishy field and held them out. He followed me speedily until I got to the shed. Then, slower and slower. Eventually greed won out over fear; I managed to lure him into the shed, retreating into the far corner and feeding him apple pieces over and over.

When the apples were gone and apple fever subsided, he noticed it was still raining. He turned and looked out at the downpour. What a dilemma! He realized he was dry (good) but in the shed (bad).

I was trapped in the shed behind him for a while, because (a) I didn't want to discourage his noticing that he was dry and (b) he was stamping irritably and I didn't want to get stamped.

When I finally left, he, aggravatingly, left too. He's standing in the rain now.

So are the big Buckeye chickens.

So the intelligence prize goes to the tiny Java chickens: they ran into in their filing cabinet and are perfectly dry.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this would be considered cruel, but couldn't you just put a halter on the donkey and tie him in the shed for increasing periods of time until he realizes that he's dry and safe?

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think this falls into the "managing things that can't be managed" category. Guess they just want to be wet. They'll probably discover the shed just when you totally give up, or begin theorizing that it's safer for them to be in the rain.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Alma said...

To greatly maim the old saying... you can lead a donkey away from water, but you can't make him think.

I think they'll learn eventually, but if they don't, I guess they'll be okay anyway.

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't mention the goat. Did it get out of the rain, did it run away (this time for good), or did you return it to sender? Have they done an animal telenovela? So far your saga of the donkey and friends is more interesting than most of those on the air now. This could be a first.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger sister AE said...

I wonder if the donkey is like the birds that won't go into a brand-new birdhouse but prefer to wait for it to age for a year. I think maybe it stops "smelling" new or something?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home