PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hannah: Returns

Hi all,

Sorry for my prolonged absence. I was trying to get myself re-employed, which took up a lot of my spare time and tapped out most of my witty anecdotes. I have now succeeded in re-employment and can do other fun things, not to say that running around in a suit in 95 degree weather in New York City trying to act like a grownup isn't fun.

Okay, one story - I was about to head out to an interview and threw a book into my bag in case they had me waiting for a few minutes. Then I stopped and picked the book out again. I've been working on "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer, which is basically several hundred pages about how bad Mormon fundamentalist polygamists are. While the book is probably inoffensive, I didn't want to risk being thought religiously intolerant while applying for jobs at liberal Jewish organizations. So I put the book back and picked up something else that had been leant to me by the Urban Caballero - something about music, that I'd been meaning to start for days.

The Urban Caballero looked up. "I'm not sure you really want to do that either," he said. And I looked down again, and lo and behold, it was a book about Wagner, with a big old illustration of the raging anti-Semite himself on the cover. Why am I all of a sudden so buried in books about the religiously intolerant?

I settled for "The Working Poor," which might run the risk of making me look a little too goody-goody, but it's still better than Wagner. Sigh. You never know what crazy stuff people will judge you on.

1 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger Kelly Sedinger said...

Isn't "Into Thin Air" Krakauer's book about the Mt. Everest climbing debacle?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home