PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Illustration Friday: "Car"

I don't like aerodynamic cars, I like cars that are like boxes. Because I like corners. I drive a boxy van and when it dies I don't know how I'll replace it: they don't make boxy vans any more. This was the boxiest car I could find on the net...


I drew the car freehand with vine charcoal on the canvas pad, then went over the lines with a ballpoint pen and erased the charcoal. I did the casual blockin above and then I tried to deepen the colors and pay a little attention to the reflections, but it was a failure.


If you want to give it a try, here's my reference photo:

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger Focus_ret said...

I certainly would NOT call this a failure! It is nice. I like the fact that your color scheme is much softer and more restful than your reference photo.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems to me, the Scion should pass for "boxy" these days:

http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyersGuide/photos/2006/Scion/xB/SUV/2006_Scion_xB_ext_1.jpg

But if your reference photo is what you're after, yeah, they don't make those anymore.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, photo is here Forgot to use HTML-age.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Janice Ykema said...

I like the fact you talked through your process... and the end result of your efforts is a car with personality.... :) I would love to meet it... the photo.. is nice.. but .. um.. common.... (dont you think? ) Keep up the good work

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of the Scion, the '08 version is rounder and fatter and less functional; I have no idea what the heck Toyota was thinking.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Alma said...

I drive a Jeep Cherokee which is going on a decade now. The husb is insistent that I should trade it in for a newer model (his mind, new=reliable), but I have resisted because I still love it as much as I did when I first saw it... Boxy and rugid, it is uniquely beautiful in a way that newer cars just aren't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home