PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, March 23, 2007

Hannah: Last Night With John Edwards

By random chance, I ended up last night at a small, live event with John Edwards. He looked like he was trying to conceal being very tired. It mostly worked, though he bungled a few factoids, and before he started speaking, his face was frozen in a mask of 'I don't want to be here.' His North Carolina accent really struck me all of a sudden. He's got a big fat juicy one. Though I grew up in NC, I don't have any kind of Southern accent. What I do have is something like colorblindness to mild Southern accents - I just can't hear them. I can't distinguish them from "normal" Yankee talk. I could definitely hear John Edwards's accent, though, and it made me miss North Carolina very badly. It made me think about all the people with accents who I knew and don't see anymore - my elementary school teachers, people who work in local stores, parents of friends. Also, it's finally the first day of spring up here - I miss the warm weather!

2 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger melinama said...

It's 80 degrees and all the redbuds are bursting out! Miss you!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger kenju said...

My heart breaks for both John and Elizabeth, and for their children.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home