PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, March 20, 2006

Careers in Sand.

Speaking as I was of unusual career paths, here are some suggestions, mostly courtesy of growabrain.

Ilana Yahav is a sand animation artist - she does videos of herself drawing on glass with sand. This one is very cool.

Kirk Rademaker: "sand sculpture and interactive environmental art." The San Francisco Chronicle wrote: "Dump twenty tons of sand in front of Kirk Rademaker and he's a happy man. ... Using sand sculpting as the basis, he now conducts corporate team-building exercises around the country." This follows my principle that the happiest guys are those who are doing, as adults, what they liked to do when they were 2-3 years old.

Benjamin Probanza calls his work "ephemeral art."

This is the Queen of Sandcastles, featured in People Magazine, in case you were wondering (as I was) if this was a guys-only profession.


Here's the Winners' Gallery of World Championship Sand Sculpture. This more properly belongs, I suppose, in the "It Keeps Them Off the Streets" category.

I'm sure you were wondering: many of these sculptures get sprayed with a glue mixture to keep them up.











Technorati Tags: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger kenju said...

These are FABULOUS! Just yesterday I was channel surfing and found a program on the travel channel about sand-sculpting. It showed the works in progress and then the winners. I relly enjoyed it. The finished works are phenomenal, but learning the process was terrific!

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am particularly fond of the one with all those identical figures on the hill. I wonder what the idea behind that one is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home