PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, December 02, 2005

Overheard in the linens department

Lurking about, observing the passing scene, I came upon a pretty 20-something poking contemptuously at the floor mat in her boyfriend's shopping cart, lifting its corner and letting it drop with a rubberly blat.

Loudly enough for me and no doubt many others to hear: "Sweeeeeeeeetheart, you don't want to buy this mat!"

(Quiet, mild muttering in response.)

Loudly: "But it's an indoor/outdoor mat. Sweeeeeetheart, NO! (as if spoken to a dog about to piddle on the floor) ... you DON'T want this in your apartment."

I went on my way wondering if I've ever spoken to anybody that way. Was there ever a time I didn't realize that humiliating somebody in a store is never worth it? Isn't every guy perfectly entitled to buy whatever floormat he prefers?

When did "live and let live" become one of the most important guilding tenets of my philosophy?

This girl sounded like one day she may become one of the Ghastly Brides. And he, poor soul, will be one of the sleep-walking grooms.

I always want to say: "GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!" But, I don't. Live and let live.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Blogger Zephra said...

Good Morning to you from Michele's. After reading your blog for the day, I wonder if I am one of those Ghastly Brides. Maybe it is time for me to examine the way I treat my hubby.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger MaryB said...

It crawls all over me to hear those humiliating scenes (I'd say "overhear," but the humiliaters always talk just a little too loud and at a slightly higher pitch than normal.) I also hate to hear that tone with children - sheesh! Back off.

Yeah - Sir, get out while you can. (Over an indoor/oudoor mat???)

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Chatty said...

Ugh, I hate hearing that. Sounds like she needs to be put in her place and he needs to *grow some*

Michele sent me.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger ribbiticus said...

it's as uncomfortable for those who overhear as the one being humiliated. some people just never learned proper manners, i guess or maybe they just need to be reminded of the golden rule.

here via michele today. :)

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I can wince too. I hope I don't react like that much. Eek, let's just hope it was a bad moment and not a pattern.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home