PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, June 06, 2005

A momentous decision

Yesterday, a flurry of closet winnowing. I got rid of skirts so short I'd have to be drunk to wear them again - and I don't drink.

Melina got rid of dresses she wore when she was thirteen. I passed some clothes along to her and then we both gratefully dumped things we thought we should keep but didn't want to: a hot-pink blazer bought at the Goodwill when I once thought I would start wearing pink, white shirts I bought knowing I never wear white shirts. Melina pointed out that unwanted gifts (like my poison green T-shirt which says L'Chaim on it and her op-art polyester muscle shirt) are very hard to dump.

My momentous decision was this: from now on, I will strive to put all my hangers on the closet rod facing the same direction. Just one less bit of chaos. Just one more small thing to rely upon.

I lack the gift of order, but there is slow progress. Seven years ago I started sorting the silverware into the proper fork - knife - spoon slots instead of dumping it with a tremendous clatter that turned the usually comatose Digit into a fuzzy grey projectile shooting herself upstairs.

Then I started hanging my car keys on a nail instead of leaving them absolutely every whichever place - by and large I've stuck with it and saved myself half an hour looking for them every day. And sometime in the last decade I also started putting my socks away in pairs.

A long term anti-entropy goal: to put my tools away after a project is completed, instead of forgetting about them instantly the moment they are no longer in my hands. Some day I hope to keep my shovel under the porch instead of leaving it out by the dirt pile to rust.

4 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

Hey, another disorganised person!

I got the keys sorted recently, too - they go in a little basket by the door. The silverware gets confused because of the chopsticks in there, but is more or less in separate places. (Even here the drawer trays don't have enough divisions for forks, spoons, knives AND chopsticks, so the spoons and forks go together.)

The hanging things the same way around... that will have to wait until I sort out the 'hanging things' part of the equation. Chucking things in the closet is more my style right now. I'm working on it, though.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger kenju said...

I am organized, as I have written about. Actually I am a little OCD about that.

White shirts only look good on your girls with impossibly white teeth (so I quit wearing them decades ago). Pink is yucky!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger kenju said...

That was supposed to say "young" girls. I really do need to start previewing!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Lora said...

I never thought of myself as an organized person, but the mere mention of not sorting your silverware, of not having your hangers face in the same direction, and of not having a designated spot for your keys just seem puts me incredibly ill at ease.

I need order. I always feel like I need to be better organized and I'm amazed at how much chaos some people can comfortably tolerate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home