PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Friday, December 17, 2010

Today's Molasses Peanut Butter Cookies

Last night as my housemate and I were enjoying being in the warm house while "wintry mix" was occurring outside, I got a call from my son Ezra: after his long shift at work, he'd crossed the howling tundra through the wintry mix, heaved his groceries into the car and plopped into the driver's seat with a sigh, and turned the key and - nothing.

He got a friend to jump his battery - nothing. He called me and what an amazement! Just that very day his new AAA card had arrived - I signed us up on the 2-for-1 plan. How often does that happen? So he called triple A and they came and they installed a new battery and he made it home.

But since he'd never called me after that first call, and his phone was out of juice, I thought he was still out shivering in the cold unable to solve his problem, perhaps with a busted starter or alternator or something.

So I called Bob Vasile, who has become a sort of uncle to Ez, and he pried himself up out of his cozy chair and went out in the wintry mix to save Ez. Who was gone, because he'd solved his own problem.

So, in gratitude, I just cooked these cookies for Bob. I kind of invented the recipe because the one I always use in the "Joy of Cooking" isn't very good, it's dry and crumbly. This one is more interesting. I would make it again.

MOLASSES PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1/2 c. butter, mostly melted in microwave
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. molasses (not blackstrap)
2/3 c. chunky peanut butter
1 egg
1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Beat together the first five ingredients and whip well. Add the rest of the ingredients and whip some more. Cook at 360 degrees for as long as you like. (Bob likes them a little burnt.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home