PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ira Glass on sticking with it when what you make isn't as good as you want it to be...

Ira Glass talking about creative people, who typically spend years in spiritual discomfort because their inborn "good taste" tells them the stuff they are creating is not as good as it should be.
It's going to take you a while... you're just going to have to fight your way through it. You will be fierce, you will be a warrior, and you will make things you know in your heart aren't as good as you want them to be, and you'll just make one after another...

2 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Anonymous novelera said...

Thank you for this, CHF. I adore Ira Glass and usually catch This American Life doing errands on Saturday. I sometimes sit in my car in front of the library, having intended to return books, mesmerized by one of the segments.

It's great to hear the truth - that a big part of inspiration is perspiration. And that we shouldn't sacrifice the good for the perfect. This has been said a lot lately regarding Health Care Reform, but it is true.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Alma said...

I HEART Ira! He's at the top of my podcast subscriptions.

Unfortunately, I am not a very creative person by nature. However, there is a teeny tiny part of my job that requires creative writing, and I find this to be so true! Now I see that I don't have to feel guilty about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home