PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Pictures from the Koprivshtitsa Festival

Every five years there is a huge folk festival in Koprivshtitsa, which is a small town preserved in the Bulgarian National Revival style. You can, for instance, get some tips on the big, official festival here - the next one will be in 2010, I think.


Cleverly, the town itself has realized it can capitalize on the festival's fame, and holds an annual, small festival of its own in the town square. This is what Hannah and I attended. Maybe for me it was better - not much of a crowd, and we were up close and personal with the "home team" performers. Here are some of my pictures.


One of the nicest things about this event was the profusion of youngsters dressed to the nines and singing their hearts out - really, really well. Although Bulgarian folksongs sort of missed a generation (you see grannies singing, and teenagers and children, but not many people of an in-between age), at least some kids are now being brought up to appreciate and contribute to the tradition. You can see the grannies are tickled about it, too.

















Technorati Tags: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those great photos...such colorful costumes. When I went to my Bulgarian student's home for lunch after class one afternoon a few years ago, as soon as I walked into her apartment, she offered me vodka which I declined since I had a half hour drive home. She was lovely and hospitable. She is now a math adjunct at the same community college that I teach at. She recently adopted a Bulgarian boy. Thanks, Melinama. It sounds like you had a good time.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Alma said...

The costumes are gorgeous! I especially love to see children in them.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back from your vacation! Your pictures are fabulous and the folk festival sounds like a blast. Your observation about the folk performers seeming to miss a generation is interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home